Online video is one of the most effective and fastest growing trends in the digital marketing world. Nearly all successful and relevant businesses produce or incorporate video content on their website and within their marketing strategy. This means that behind every good business, there is a great videographer.
What does it take to be a videographer? It is more about the equipment or the technical skills? Here at Skillman Video Group, we believe that it is a mixture of both. Like most Boston Videographers, the camera men at SVG are passionate about what they do and how they do it.
Tools You Will Need
What is a videographer without his tools? The equipment that a videographer uses on a shoot is almost as important as their skills, some would argue that the equipment is more important. Here is a short list of the general tools that a good video production company must bring to set.
- A video camera – the type of camera depends on your budget and what you are shooting. Online video is unique because it can be shot on both iPhone cameras and thousand dollar DSLR cameras so remember that there are a wide range of cameras to choose from that will fit your video shoot
- A tripod – keeps your footage steady and professional, wobbly camerawork will make viewers dizzy!
- Camera light – this is a small lighting attachment for the camera that is most often used for documentary films
- Three-point lighting kit – a lighting kit is mostly used when shooting indoors, it is used to position the light and create a well-lit, perfect scene
- Shotgun Microphone – good audio is an important part of every video, the viewers need to be able to clearly hear the speakers, and this microphone is a simple way to ensure quality audio because it is small and can be placed on top of the camera
- Boom Microphone – This type of microphone is useful when filming large groups or interviews because it is held above the speakers and out of shot, the microphone should come with a large pole and shockmount. The shotgun microphone can be equipped as a boom with these additions.
- Audio XLR cables – These connect your camera to the microphones
- Lenses – Wide angle, fish eye, macro, polarizer, and zoom lenses! There are so many different types of lenses and it is useful to have lens options on set
- Extra Batteries – Dead batteries are a videographer’s worst nightmare, make sure to always have extra batteries on set!
Every good Boston video production company knows the most important thing to remember on a shoot is to stay organized. They must make sure that they know where everything is and that it is within reach, because you never know what you might need on a shoot and it’s good to stay prepared for any situation. No one wants to watch a boring video, this is why a good videographer must be creative. They must be the kind of person to think outside the box and always be thinking of new ideas and stories for their videos. In addition to being creative, videographers must pay close attention to detail. In both the shooting and editing process attention to detail can make or break the video, so it is important to be aware of everything that is happening on the set and to take time to make sure that everything is correct.
Finally, the most successful videographers never lose sight of the main goal, to create an effective marketing video for the client. This means that they always need to be thinking about the keywords and the story that they are telling because at the end of the day, the videographers main job is to be a storyteller.